Skip to main content

The Ever-Changing New Normal

Being a parent is about always adjusting to the "new normal." But for a person who doesn't accept change well, always adjusting to a new normal can be hellish. Each new year brings different situations. Each new age brings a new set of challenges. From sleeping habits to teething to crawling to walking to running AND falling down (a lot!) to learning to talk and expand their vocabulary then trying to unteach them the colorful liquid lubricators that eventually slip out then teaching the proper audience, purpose, and context in which to use those words (#BecauseEnglishProfessor #BecauseLanguage #BecauseWordsMatter) to finding sitters then day cares then selecting and getting them in the best schools to monthly, then yearly and of course, random and frequent doc visits because new environs mean they catch EVERYTHING to developing a group of family and friends who can pitch in and help out with less than a 24 hours notice to juggling their new full schedules with your own already full schedules to watching them bud into their own being complete with personalities, quirks, and preferences to watching them gain and lose friends to watching their heartbreak over a loss, a defeat, a change, an obstacle to questioning everything you've ever taught them to wondering have you royally fucked them up! (Yeah, probably, maybe?) Phew. And that ain't that half of it.

It's exhausting. It's frustrating. It's unnerving and unending. It's heartbreaking. It's full of love and pain and every emotion there ever was, and some you didn't know.

BUT is it all worth it?
Absofuckinglutely, yes!

To the people who watch in awe and ask "how do you get all of that done?" Trust me, we have no damn clue. We adjust and manage and keep moving forward. Resist the urge to throw in the towel. If the ever-changing "new normal" beats you down, have a cry moment (because there is crying in parenting) and get right back in there. There can be crying, but there are very few water breaks or pee breaks--or even shower breaks when then are really small--allowed.

The new normal might try to kick your ass, but jump back up and beat it back. It's the only way I know to offer the world future functioning adults who will be prepared to start the cycle all over again and get it just a little more right than we did.
****************

I wrote this post a few years ago when my youngest was a wee toddler. They are both older now, but the new normal is still ever-changing. Each new age still brings new challenges. New emotions. New likes and dislikes. New adventures. But hold on and enjoy the ride because if you're fortunate, you'll eventually reach an age where you get to watch them face these new normals for themselves.

And as always, pay attention, be informed, and take part--how else will your raise decently adjusted, kind humans?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen

Remember the Past: Les Gens de Couleur Libres

Yes, I'm a day behind, but here's to it... I dedicate this post to my wonderful, brilliant niece who might  be taking a new interest in history, and that makes me even prouder on so many levels. Today, I'll introduce you to Les Gens de Couleur Libres (The Free People of Color). Free Women of Color with their Children and Servants in a Landscape Painting by Agostino Brunias Some years back, a cousin asked had I seen the film Feast of All Saints.  I had not. She proceeded to tell me of the plot of the movie wherein the Les Gens de Couleur Libres--the Free People of Color-- living in New Orleans were an entire class of people living in the slave state of Louisiana before  the Civil War ended.  My mind was blown. I'd never heard of these people. I was mad that I had not, but I instantly wanted to know all I could. Growing up, I always knew there were Blacks scattered throughout the country prior to 1863 and 1865 who were free through various means--buying thei

On Old Hollywood, Race, History, and Lies

I saw an article and then watched the trailer for the upcoming film Netflix's  Concrete Cowboy , starring Lorraine Toussaint, Idris Elba, Cliff “Method Man” Smith, and Caleb McLaughlin (the sole Black kid in Netflix's  Stranger Things ). The article from The Root opens with a simple question: "When did you first learn that Black cowboys exist?" In the article, a few of the film's actors offer a few answers:  Bob Marley's " Buffalo Soldiers " (about the all Black calvary regimen of U.S. Soldiers ).  The film Posse (directed by and starring Mario Van Peebles, also related to Buffalo Soldiers ) The film Buck and the Preacher (starring the amazing and incomparable Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte) . The article also mentions the person who was my earliest memory of Black cowboys: Bass Reeves . My dad told me about Bass Reeves when I was younger. Dad loves western stuff AND actual history, and my parents always made an effort to fill in the gap of th