Skip to main content

Melanin Be Poppin'

I finished watching Black Earth Rising last night. More about that later, but one thing that I kept thinking every episode was how beautiful Michaela Coel is. Her beautiful brown skin, amazingly shaped eyes, toned af body, and prominent African features. This was highlighted all the more because of the subject of the show--the Rwandan Genocide--and how many beautiful black/African people were in the show.

https://blackexcellence.com/?s=benefits+of+melanin+rich+skin
Then I awoke this morning to a post in an FB group asking for POC (people of color) to comment about how they'd feel if this poster was hung in their child's biology class in a school that is 3/4 predominantly white that has had racial tensions, and the bio teacher is also white.

There are so many things to unpack here.

First, it's interesting that the poster offers scientifically supported reasons to celebrate and love melanated/melanin-rich skin. Note: I'm going to use melanated because I love that word. In recent years, that has been an increase in using and conjugating the hell outta words and phrases that celebrate our beautiful skin. Melanin be poppin', caramel cutie, melanated, butter pecan Ricans (shout-out Wu Tang), MELANIN, etc. Tees, mugs, bags, etc. Yes, celebrate our beauty!
Ok, I digressed. Got a little excited there.

The poster offers cited proof as to why melanated skin should be cherished and appreciated, which is probably needed in a predominantly white school more than one that is predominantly POC. I'll admit some concern that the poster may feed into junk science that used to be used (still is in some shitty circles) to justify racist ideas and policies. Eugenics, Hitler (yes, I'm going there), Mengele, science and IQs. All of these things have horrible, shitty racist end results.
So, paint me shocked af to find a Wikipedia page (sadly, titled "Dark Skin") that cites TONS of published academic journal articles that support/discuss some of the claims in the poster. Note also that the poster itself cites sources.
And also note the poster reminds us that having melanin does NOT preclude us from getting skin cancer and to still protect our skin.

At its core, this poster could be a wonderful thing.
It could be there for the teacher to attempt to be an ally to the students of color (SOC) and show them that they are visible--and not merely tokens, or small clusters of dots in their very white environment, etc.
It could be there for the teacher to acknowledge that they see the SOC as full people whose identity and skin is seen and acknowledged--scientifically, in a science class.

It could also be a misguided attempt at these things.
It could be a poorly executed way to "celebrate" Black History Month.
It could be shitty attempt at being inclusive. Akin to those dumbass "let's study slavery by making the black kids slaves and white kids massa, Mrs. Massa, and overseers" type projects we've seen over the past few years. I've had enough of those people. We have to do better. Stop the dumbshit!

In order to be effective, the poster has to do more than hang on the wall. It must be a legitimate conversation starter about some uncomfortable ideas. Although it offers relevant science, without discussion of that science and horrible historical legacy of junk racist science, this poster could do more harm by further embedding racist stereotypes. Hanging a poster like this, an instructor would have a duty to discuss and analyze with the students why the poster is there, why it was chosen, and the rhetoric of a poster like this (damaging AND positive rhetoric). We have a DUTY to our students to stop shying away from these uncomfortable conversations.

And at last, we reach my favorite part of the poster: "black don't crack." This is a common expression in many black/POC communities. I'm a bit tickled that 1) I now see academic, scientific proof of this expression I've heard my entire life. And 2) what's all the more interesting about this is that a friend of mine who is re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird recently shared a wonderful bit of dialogue from the book that relates to this very expression:
Calpurnia is essentially telling Jem that "black don't crack." The book was published in 1960, but we know the phrase has been around far longer. In recent years, as social media has exploded and the phrase has become more well known outside of the black community, there have been articles and more articles. And apparently, tons of legitimate science.

But here's my spin on it: black don't crack, but our insides are liquefying.
Mental health, transgenerational trauma passed on in DNA, poor health, poor access to health care, low-income, low wages that continues generational poverty, wage disparity, and the exhausting racism that never truly left--all of this takes a toll on your insides, so sure, our corpses will have beautiful and pristine skin.

So, yeah, this poster could lead to amazing conversations--esp. in a scientific class, but will it? I'd hope so, but I'm doubtful. I've live long enough that I know a lot about the way the world works, but no, I don't look my age.

Pay attention.
Be informed.
Take part.

Update: Found out that yes, the poster was posted with purposeful and positive intentions, and it's only the first of others to come. Kudos to this teacher and school for doing so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen

Remember the Past: Les Gens de Couleur Libres

Yes, I'm a day behind, but here's to it... I dedicate this post to my wonderful, brilliant niece who might  be taking a new interest in history, and that makes me even prouder on so many levels. Today, I'll introduce you to Les Gens de Couleur Libres (The Free People of Color). Free Women of Color with their Children and Servants in a Landscape Painting by Agostino Brunias Some years back, a cousin asked had I seen the film Feast of All Saints.  I had not. She proceeded to tell me of the plot of the movie wherein the Les Gens de Couleur Libres--the Free People of Color-- living in New Orleans were an entire class of people living in the slave state of Louisiana before  the Civil War ended.  My mind was blown. I'd never heard of these people. I was mad that I had not, but I instantly wanted to know all I could. Growing up, I always knew there were Blacks scattered throughout the country prior to 1863 and 1865 who were free through various means--buying thei

On Old Hollywood, Race, History, and Lies

I saw an article and then watched the trailer for the upcoming film Netflix's  Concrete Cowboy , starring Lorraine Toussaint, Idris Elba, Cliff “Method Man” Smith, and Caleb McLaughlin (the sole Black kid in Netflix's  Stranger Things ). The article from The Root opens with a simple question: "When did you first learn that Black cowboys exist?" In the article, a few of the film's actors offer a few answers:  Bob Marley's " Buffalo Soldiers " (about the all Black calvary regimen of U.S. Soldiers ).  The film Posse (directed by and starring Mario Van Peebles, also related to Buffalo Soldiers ) The film Buck and the Preacher (starring the amazing and incomparable Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte) . The article also mentions the person who was my earliest memory of Black cowboys: Bass Reeves . My dad told me about Bass Reeves when I was younger. Dad loves western stuff AND actual history, and my parents always made an effort to fill in the gap of th