Skip to main content

The Latest Chris Brown Mishap

I'm quite tired of the media continuing to vilify Chris Brown as if NO ONE on this planet has ever messed up, as if no one has ever been young, dumb, and stupid, as if anger has never made anyone lose major control, and as if he doesn't have time in his life to learn and do better.


Yes, his actions were wrong.
Yes, he messed up!
Yes, he deserved to be punished legally for what he did (which he was), but how the heck is he ever supposed to reflect back on it and LEARN from his mistakes if he is never allowed to fully move past it?


How many other celebs have done similar (or worse) things that he did, and we still held it over their heads TWO YEARS LATER?


The media loves to see people fall, but when they do, is it required media guidelines to keep shoving their face in it?  What is it about our society that makes us want to keep holding bad things over people as if no one can ever forgive and forget?


I'm a little disappointed that Robin Roberts was the one who did this interview and turned what should and could have been a chance for Brown to promote his album into his latest incident of going off and losing control.  His reaction afterwards, if reports are correct, was inappropriate, but who knows what was in his head at the time?  You never know how someone else's day has been.  You never know what might set someone off.


People cannot learn from and heal from their mistakes if their mistakes are always thrown in their faces.


Give me a break because honestly, I'm quite tired of this shit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Earth Rising--spoilers therein

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag-map_of_Rwanda.svg I recently finished  Black Earth Rising on Netflix. The show stars Michaela Coel (as Kate Ashby), Harriet Walter (as Eve Ashby), John Goodman (as Michael Ennis), among many others. It's about a Rwandan genocide survivor Kate, who was adopted by an international lawyer (Eve) who prosecutes cases in the ICC. Over two decades after surviving the genocide, Kate and all those around her are forced to come to terms with some seriously uncomfortable realities of what happened before, during, and after the genocide. The show got in my head... One, it was great to see so many beautiful, brown-skinned people in a show and to experience a story of modern African history--albeit horribly, tragic history. And every time Coel was on screen, I marveled over her beauty--beautiful, smooth, brown complexion, amazingly shaped eyes, beautifully pronounced cheekbones and full lips. Two, although fictionalized, I learned a LOT more

Avoiding "those" conversations

The post below was written in 2015, but never posted. (Not sure why.) Goodness, has the world changed in those 4 years. Now, our "president"--45--and EVEN more police brutality and racial bullshit situations have forced us to talk about what we have avoided for far too long. The below post represented a turning point for me in what topics I use for class. I'm glad I made that turn. I now actively work to decolonize the classroom and reiterate bell hooks' call to use transgressive teaching. Join me. From https://www.flickr.com/photos/collegelibrary/10859112445 For the first time in too many years to count, I've decided to use articles in my classes that openly discuss race. I purposely selected " The Topics Dystopian Films Won't Touch " by Imran Siddiquee and a response to that article titled " Why The Hunger Games  Is about Racism " by Alissa Wilkinson because both articles focused on a book and film series that most students nowadays

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen