Skip to main content

Blackness, Indigeneity, and 5$ Indian?

It's also why they erase the ugly parts of their own histories--like 5$ Indians.

In Fall 2020 (right before THE pandemic school year started), I attended a virtual session titled The Legacy of Historical Trauma: A Discussion of the Black and Native American Existence, Identity, and Moves Forward to Healing. It was SUCH an enriching, rewarding, spiritual experience for me. I listened to the panelists (most of whom are Black and Indigenous or were raised in Black/Indigenous households OR are raising Black-Indigenous relatives) speak of the intersecting identities and the double oppressions of being both Black and Indigenous and the acknowledgment of anti-Blackness handed down from our collective oppressors and often internalized and laterally
expressed in Indigenous communities, really in both communities. The anti-Blackness being weaponized and stripped from Indigenous Peoples by the dominant culture, to the point that Black-Indigenous people would need to deny their Blackness in order to acknowledge their Indigeneity (a term I learned on that day), or rather to have their Indigeneity acknowledged by and benefits from the dominant culture. And now a reclamation of both identities--because we're all stronger together. Ooohh, chile, it was deep. I learned so much that day that I continue to carry with me.

Which brings me to today's lesson: Dawes Rolls and "5$ Indian."

There is an extra sick and twisted level of oppression, hatred, and racism that has been laterally passed among Black and Indigenous communities, and amongst other communities of color--communities of People of the Global Majority. I continuously learn more about this interconnectedness, and how these double oppressed groups were first oppressed, then used and abused by the dominant culture. But there's also an extra sick and twisted abuse of these identities by the dominant culture, when it benefits them. (We could even draw correlating lines between the existence of "5$ Indian" and cultural appropriation (especially when it comes to appearance) of Black culture.

Today's lesson came from a TikTok from Prof. Sunn mCheaux that I watched recently, and since he had to do TWO videos--1) to make his point about white people commenting on his videos and claiming to be Indigenous, 2) to clarify the term 5$ Indian and add more information and context, I'm sharing the article he linked in the second: "Paying to Play Indian: The Dawes Rolls and the Legacy of $5 Indians." Because as he points out, sometimes, people don't believe what Black folks have to say on stuff until another person from that community speaks on it. But also, often, someone and/or resources from any given community has more credibility to speak on an issue than someone outside that community.

We've only begun to scratch the surface and understand the intersectionality, interconnectedness, lateral violence and racism, and abuse of Blackness and Indigeneity. But I continue to scratch, dig, read, and watch. You should too.

#AlwaysLearning

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen

Remember the Past: Les Gens de Couleur Libres

Yes, I'm a day behind, but here's to it... I dedicate this post to my wonderful, brilliant niece who might  be taking a new interest in history, and that makes me even prouder on so many levels. Today, I'll introduce you to Les Gens de Couleur Libres (The Free People of Color). Free Women of Color with their Children and Servants in a Landscape Painting by Agostino Brunias Some years back, a cousin asked had I seen the film Feast of All Saints.  I had not. She proceeded to tell me of the plot of the movie wherein the Les Gens de Couleur Libres--the Free People of Color-- living in New Orleans were an entire class of people living in the slave state of Louisiana before  the Civil War ended.  My mind was blown. I'd never heard of these people. I was mad that I had not, but I instantly wanted to know all I could. Growing up, I always knew there were Blacks scattered throughout the country prior to 1863 and 1865 who were free through various means--buying thei

On Old Hollywood, Race, History, and Lies

I saw an article and then watched the trailer for the upcoming film Netflix's  Concrete Cowboy , starring Lorraine Toussaint, Idris Elba, Cliff “Method Man” Smith, and Caleb McLaughlin (the sole Black kid in Netflix's  Stranger Things ). The article from The Root opens with a simple question: "When did you first learn that Black cowboys exist?" In the article, a few of the film's actors offer a few answers:  Bob Marley's " Buffalo Soldiers " (about the all Black calvary regimen of U.S. Soldiers ).  The film Posse (directed by and starring Mario Van Peebles, also related to Buffalo Soldiers ) The film Buck and the Preacher (starring the amazing and incomparable Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte) . The article also mentions the person who was my earliest memory of Black cowboys: Bass Reeves . My dad told me about Bass Reeves when I was younger. Dad loves western stuff AND actual history, and my parents always made an effort to fill in the gap of th