Skip to main content

Oh, NOW you find it hard to label and pursue terrorists

We're all STILL reeling from multiple mass shootings in a week's time (Gilroy, CA, El Paso, TX, and Dayton, OH) and other shootings (Wisconsin, Mississippi, Tennessee, Maryland, Virginia, Indiana, NY)  that were still tragic and horrible, but didn't make as much news because 1) low death counts and 2) we had TWO FUCKING SHOOTINGS in 24 hours--El Paso then Dayton. Even by our shitty standards, 2 in 24 hours is a bit much. When I say the Dayton breaking news alert on my phone, I thought my app was glitching. Nope. ANOTHER FUCKING SHOOTING while cops and media were still gathering info on the first one.

I've tried to limit my exposure to all the non-stop news about the shootings and only took time to read articles when something truly caught my eye, like the fact that the FBI are pursuing domestic terrorism charges or the fact that Mexico is considering suing the U.S. government since some of the people killed in El Paso were Mexican nationals or this article: "Shootings Renew Debate Over How to Combat Domestic Terrorism."

Yes, these acts are domestic terrorism. Honestly, after reading I Am Malala recently, I don't really see how mass shooters--whether they are all a part of one group or not--are any different from the Taliban who took over Swat Valley and ultimate attempted to kill Malala. They espouse a strong ideology in something, use force and violence to make people do what they want, use fear and intimidation and terror.
No, it shouldn't be difficult to pursue domestic terrorism charges against these mass shooters. As was so eloquently pointed out in this Congressional hearing, it seems that when the shooters have more melanin (pick your shade, ethnicity, background, religion, and/or country of origin) domestic terrorism is instantly on the table (even when it turns out NOT to be the case), but if the shooter is white, whoa, hold your horses there, let's examine more info.

THESE ACTS ARE DOMESTIC TERRORISM.

So, reading this article, a few specific things came to mind that I want to address:
//From the perspective of the courts, white supremacy is a hateful but protected form of speech,” said Jonathan Turley, a constitutional law expert at George Washington University. “What courts resist are efforts to classify whole movements as violent as a result of the actions of some of its members.//
I guess the distinction here is "from the perspective of the courts" because what I know of history is that law enforcement, i.e. FBI, has NO problem classifying whole movements as violent.  COINTELPRO (COunter INtelligence PROgram) and the harassment, surveilling and ultimately, take down of damn near any Civil Rights Era leaders they could comes to mind. The bullshit, fictional Black Identity Extremists label that the FBI made up from whole cloth also comes to mind. Even the false accusation that Black Lives Matter movement wants to kill cops is bullshit--BLM wants cops to stop killing citizens. These examples DO align with the idea of classifying whole movements as violent--except when they are white. So, the real issue here is that whole movements have been declared as violent--except not white ones, other than the KKK, and look how many lives and how damn long that took, and then that shit turned right back around. I mean, how much more fucked up can we get when the FBI viewed the KKK as victims of conspiracy against their rights by leftist organizations.

“If they did the same thing that they did with the Muslims, they’d say every white guy is a potential terrorist,” said Martin R. Stolar, a New York civil rights lawyer. “You can’t do that with white people. The blowback would be outrageous.”
So, let me get this right--when we declared that al Qaeda and Bin Laden were responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, we had no problem declaring anyone who even remotely looked Middle Eastern and brown (govt. says: sorry, not sorry to Indians, Sikhs, and other Southeast Asians) as a bad guy to be viewed with all sorts of suspicion, but when we repeatedly see that white males (by whatever name you want to call them) of a certain demographic are by and large causing domestic terrorist acts, we can't then decide to look upon all white people, or just all white males with the same demographics as the shooters with suspicion? No? Because that would be unfair?

Ohhhh, so now it's a problem?

Just like people tried repeatedly in vain to say that that same round up and suspicion of Middle Eastern-looking people was unfair. Just like people tried to say then, and definitely say now, that the round-up and internment of Japanese Americans during WWII was unfair. NOW, it's a problem, because it's whites who would be under suspicion? Hmmm... Unfair now, but not unfair then? Wonder what's the difference?

This reminds me of the opioid epidemic. It wasn't until soccer moms, suburbanites, and good old, all American white folks started dying in droves that the conscience of the "average" American started screaming "this is a health problem! Do something!" When it was communities of color screaming the same, we were met with handcuffs and lengthy jail sentences. It was a problem then and it's a problem now.

Hypocrisy is going to eat us alive.

Domestic terrorism in any form is wrong and should be combatted with all the available resources possible. I mean, even former Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein says "that law enforcement needs to model its domestic terrorism response after the international counterterrorism efforts undertaken in the wake of the 9/11 attacks."

My god. This isn't difficult, or at least it shouldn't be. But this country has a good habit of sticking its head in the sand when those among us who society has cultivated as the "normal," upstanding, average people break bad. But the reality is, white males have been breaking bad since before the founding of this country. (And that isn't to say others haven't. But we know others are rounded up and punished.) Racism, hatred, white supremacy is woven into the stars and stripes so folks have been breaking bad for a long ass time. What generation will finally have the temerity to stand up and say ENOUGH and then put all the weight and force behind it?

I'm tired of seeing mass shootings.
I'm tired of seeing yet another memorial.
Yet another hashtag.
Yet another name or city we need to try to remember and honor but we can't keep up.
By the time one name commits to memory, more bullets have stopped someone else's future.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen

Remember the Past: Les Gens de Couleur Libres

Yes, I'm a day behind, but here's to it... I dedicate this post to my wonderful, brilliant niece who might  be taking a new interest in history, and that makes me even prouder on so many levels. Today, I'll introduce you to Les Gens de Couleur Libres (The Free People of Color). Free Women of Color with their Children and Servants in a Landscape Painting by Agostino Brunias Some years back, a cousin asked had I seen the film Feast of All Saints.  I had not. She proceeded to tell me of the plot of the movie wherein the Les Gens de Couleur Libres--the Free People of Color-- living in New Orleans were an entire class of people living in the slave state of Louisiana before  the Civil War ended.  My mind was blown. I'd never heard of these people. I was mad that I had not, but I instantly wanted to know all I could. Growing up, I always knew there were Blacks scattered throughout the country prior to 1863 and 1865 who were free through various means--buying thei

On Old Hollywood, Race, History, and Lies

I saw an article and then watched the trailer for the upcoming film Netflix's  Concrete Cowboy , starring Lorraine Toussaint, Idris Elba, Cliff “Method Man” Smith, and Caleb McLaughlin (the sole Black kid in Netflix's  Stranger Things ). The article from The Root opens with a simple question: "When did you first learn that Black cowboys exist?" In the article, a few of the film's actors offer a few answers:  Bob Marley's " Buffalo Soldiers " (about the all Black calvary regimen of U.S. Soldiers ).  The film Posse (directed by and starring Mario Van Peebles, also related to Buffalo Soldiers ) The film Buck and the Preacher (starring the amazing and incomparable Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte) . The article also mentions the person who was my earliest memory of Black cowboys: Bass Reeves . My dad told me about Bass Reeves when I was younger. Dad loves western stuff AND actual history, and my parents always made an effort to fill in the gap of th