Skip to main content

Melanin or Ovaries or Both 2020

Bernie Sanders recently joined the 2020 Democratic Presidential race, and of course, that's damn near all folks want to talk about now. I did not want to start this post with him, but in reality, his entering the race was my impetus for a political post I've been sitting on for a minute. I'm over Bernie. He was a super progressive outlier in 2016, but that isn't the case anymore. He can't just spout off his same then-progressive ideas today when many of the candidates in 2020 support those same ideas AND have clear plans for how to accomplish them.

Even before Bernie entered, the Democratic 2020 presidential primary field was crowded AF.

Officially announced so far (in order of well-know to who?):
Elizabeth Warren      Bernie Sanders      Cory Booker      Kamala Harris      Amy Klobuchar      Julián Castro      Tulsi Gabbard      John Delaney      Andrew Yang

Has an "exploratory" committee (read: announcement likely coming soon):
Kirsten Gillibrand      Pete Buttigieg      Marianne Williamson

Rumored to be considering:
Joe Biden      Beto O'Rourke     Michael Bloomberg

That's 15 people total so far. Sweet night. We laughed when Repubs held 13 primary debates in 2011 for the 2012 Presidential election, but goodness.
Yep, let's get cracking on the 2019 primary debates for the 2020 election to whittle this field down. We have a lot of ground to cover; we need to weed through the serious contenders and make sure we have only about 5 people once the Primaries actually start in 2020.
Iowa then New Hampshire are always first and second, which is bullshit, as they are NOT representative of what the bulk of the country or the bulk of most states look like in terms of demographics. Only diff between the two: one is in New England, the other in Middle America. Nevada and South Carolina come next, which are better indicators of the populace. South Carolina is often seen as the "black vote" litmus test whereas Iowa and NH are seen as the white ones?
For most citizens, the Primary calendar is relatively boring until Super Tuesday unless you're a political junkie and nerd like me, but here's something major to note for Super Tuesday this time: California is now a Super Tuesday state, which will likely have major implications for the overall primaries and likely for Kamala Harris.

But enough about those details, let's address the title of this post.
Plainly put: I'm so over white male candidates for president. The latest white male in 1600 PA Ave is royally fucking things up for everyone who isn't a wealthy white male or married to one, so yeah, I do NOT want a white male at the top of the ticket for the 2020 Democratic general election. We need someone vastly and radically different at the top of the ticket.

So, for me, it's Melanin or Ovaries 2020. Yes, I said it. What?!

Yes, I have favorites in the race so far. I also have favorite policy ideas, which is mainly what I vote on. I also know some folks who've said or believed some shit that made me grimace, raise an eyebrow, or say "aw, hell naw!"
I'm not sure who I'm backing for the primaries yet; I have until March 2020 to decide (well, technically, a bit before that because Early Voting is a thing.) But I know this, 9 times outta 8, the person I vote for in the primaries will have melanin OR ovaries.

And fortunately, looks like I have plenty of folks to choose from.
Of the 9 confirmed candidates, 4 are women.
Of the 15 total, 6 are women.
Of the 9 confirmed so far, 5 of them would be considered people of color (and fuck no, I'm not counting Warren. Don't be silly.)
Of the 15 total, 6 could be considered POC. (If Buttigieg considers his 1/2 Maltese identity as being biracial or half POC. If not, then we're still at 5. I don't know Buttigieg yet, so I don't know.)

I'm sure people will say this is being anti-white or anti-male.
To that I say, nope, fuck you. I'm being pro-me--just like anyone else who votes. I'm a strong, proud woman of color, and I'd like a leader who looks like me in at least one of those regards--in both regards would be ideal. But I'm a realistic dreamer. I take the victories as they come, and work harder for the even better future victories.

We've had 44 presidents and 1 Russian-asset, impostor president. All have been male. All but one have been white. In reality, all but half of one have been white. We're one of the last developed nations in the world to have never had a woman elected as the head of state. That's ridiculous!
For those who know history, they'll recall that First Lady Edith Wilson was de facto president after Woodrow Wilson suffered an incapacitating stroke. And they'll also recall that we've had plenty of first ladies whose opinions were truly valued and sought by their presidential mates and whose ideas affected how the presidents governed during their tenure: Abigail Adams, Eleanor Roosevelt, Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama to name just a few FLOTUSes who truly had the ear of their spouses.

But short of this, we have NOT had an actual woman president, and damnit, it's beyond time! There are several good women candidates to consider (and Gabbard, who my dad predicts won't make it past Iowa. I tend to concur.) It's beyond time for American citizens by and large to trust women to speak for ourselves, to trust people of color to speak for ourselves, and hear us and know and trust that we can speak from our own experiences AND understand and speak to the experiences of our white counterparts as well. For too long, we've trusted 43 white males and 1 biracial male to do this for us. (I will not count the Russian asset here.) Why is it men can be trusted to speak for and to everyone, but women are doubted? To that, I call bullshit.

And yes, Pres. Obama is a person of color, so yes, we've had one president who was a POC. Obama is the outlier, but that's not enough. So, we're supposed to be happy having had only one POC as president? Absofuckinglutely not! POC built this damn nation. From the Native Americans whose land was stolen to Africans brought here and forced to toil and till and grow and produce and raise the land and its white citizens to Chinese immigrants who built the rails to LatinX/Hispanic people whose land was also stolen and many other groups of POC. POC are the foundational roots of this country. We've earned our place to stand tall and proud and represent this nation on the world stage and lead this country towards a brighter tomorrow for ALL citizens. We are more than capable of doing so. The country must trust that.

More than anything, at a time when POC and women are more than capable of running things, telling our own stories, speaking for ourselves, and taking direct action to make things happen, a women or POC must be heard. We no longer need white males to speak for us or make room for us.
To quote the first black woman to run for president in the 1972 election (exactly 100 years after the first woman ran in 1872):
"If there's no seat at the table for you, bring a folding chair." 

Pay attention.
Be informed
Take part.
And fucking vote.

Look up everyone who is running. Vote for who you believe in. Support and vocalize about them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen

Remember the Past: Les Gens de Couleur Libres

Yes, I'm a day behind, but here's to it... I dedicate this post to my wonderful, brilliant niece who might  be taking a new interest in history, and that makes me even prouder on so many levels. Today, I'll introduce you to Les Gens de Couleur Libres (The Free People of Color). Free Women of Color with their Children and Servants in a Landscape Painting by Agostino Brunias Some years back, a cousin asked had I seen the film Feast of All Saints.  I had not. She proceeded to tell me of the plot of the movie wherein the Les Gens de Couleur Libres--the Free People of Color-- living in New Orleans were an entire class of people living in the slave state of Louisiana before  the Civil War ended.  My mind was blown. I'd never heard of these people. I was mad that I had not, but I instantly wanted to know all I could. Growing up, I always knew there were Blacks scattered throughout the country prior to 1863 and 1865 who were free through various means--buying thei

On Old Hollywood, Race, History, and Lies

I saw an article and then watched the trailer for the upcoming film Netflix's  Concrete Cowboy , starring Lorraine Toussaint, Idris Elba, Cliff “Method Man” Smith, and Caleb McLaughlin (the sole Black kid in Netflix's  Stranger Things ). The article from The Root opens with a simple question: "When did you first learn that Black cowboys exist?" In the article, a few of the film's actors offer a few answers:  Bob Marley's " Buffalo Soldiers " (about the all Black calvary regimen of U.S. Soldiers ).  The film Posse (directed by and starring Mario Van Peebles, also related to Buffalo Soldiers ) The film Buck and the Preacher (starring the amazing and incomparable Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte) . The article also mentions the person who was my earliest memory of Black cowboys: Bass Reeves . My dad told me about Bass Reeves when I was younger. Dad loves western stuff AND actual history, and my parents always made an effort to fill in the gap of th