Skip to main content

The Essence of Planned Obsolescence


While shopping recently, I reached for refill blades for my favorite razor, only to recoil my hand in horror.
As the image shows, the razor itself + one blade is a bit over 4$; however the cost of 5 refill blades is nearly twice the cost of the razor at 8.23$.

Are you shitting me? So, essentially, you're trying to make me believe that it costs twice as much to make thin ass safety blades with their strip of aloe and tuck them in a nice cute box as it does to make the actual razor of plastic, metal, and whatever else plus a blade. Really?!

I'm not buying it--figuratively AND literally.

I stood there in the aisle appalled at the thought of this. Annoyed at the nerve of the makers. Enraged at planned obsolescence. Though companies could make products that would last longer, they choose not to so they can make more money. And with replacement blades that actually cost nearly twice as much as the original blade, you can be damn sure they are making tons of money.

Planned Obsolescence worked well for the country when we need to economically pull ourselves out from the economic clusterfuck that was the Great Depression, but then WWII came along and wartime production was big money. Planned obsolescence is actually defined as instilling in the buyer the desire to buy something a little newer, a little better, a little sooner than what is necessary." This works wonders in the realm of beauty products for women.

And when in the hell did we decide that women needed to shave so much? Who in the hell decided that it was ultra-feminine to have damn near no body hair. Babies and pre-pubescent kids lack body hair. Adults have hair sprouting out of more places that anyone would like to admit. But that's real.
As a fully grown adult with kids, a busy life, and not one extra penny or thought to spend on bullshit, I have an issue with this.

Here's a pic of the beautiful, amazing, elegant Sophia Loren with an evening gown on and unshaved pits.

And here's an article of several women with unshaven pits--some athletes and some awesome amazing movies stars, such as Julia Roberts and Helen Bonham Carter--gasp!

I mean, I read an article  some time back that suggested that some things we believe we need are relatively recent inventions -- things like antiperspirant, mouthwash, and yes, shaving the pits. (As a side note, there's also an article purporting that we're doing things wrong nowadays, things like bathing daily or multiple times a day and pooping while sitting.)


So back to these pits and razors. As I stood in the store still staring at the prices, I suddenly remembered I still had some unused razors at home. They aren't the super fancy kind (but they aren't the manly Bics either.) When I was younger and in such a rush, I used to cut my pits and legs something fierce while attempting to shave. I'm older now, married, and have kids, which means the bathroom is my sanctuary, my safe place to steal time away from the hubbub of life. I'll keep using my less fancy blades and take my ever-loving time in the bathroom doing so.

Me thinks me doth protest the bullshit that is planned obsolescence.
You should too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Earth Rising--spoilers therein

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag-map_of_Rwanda.svg I recently finished  Black Earth Rising on Netflix. The show stars Michaela Coel (as Kate Ashby), Harriet Walter (as Eve Ashby), John Goodman (as Michael Ennis), among many others. It's about a Rwandan genocide survivor Kate, who was adopted by an international lawyer (Eve) who prosecutes cases in the ICC. Over two decades after surviving the genocide, Kate and all those around her are forced to come to terms with some seriously uncomfortable realities of what happened before, during, and after the genocide. The show got in my head... One, it was great to see so many beautiful, brown-skinned people in a show and to experience a story of modern African history--albeit horribly, tragic history. And every time Coel was on screen, I marveled over her beauty--beautiful, smooth, brown complexion, amazingly shaped eyes, beautifully pronounced cheekbones and full lips. Two, although fictionalized, I learned a LOT more

Avoiding "those" conversations

The post below was written in 2015, but never posted. (Not sure why.) Goodness, has the world changed in those 4 years. Now, our "president"--45--and EVEN more police brutality and racial bullshit situations have forced us to talk about what we have avoided for far too long. The below post represented a turning point for me in what topics I use for class. I'm glad I made that turn. I now actively work to decolonize the classroom and reiterate bell hooks' call to use transgressive teaching. Join me. From https://www.flickr.com/photos/collegelibrary/10859112445 For the first time in too many years to count, I've decided to use articles in my classes that openly discuss race. I purposely selected " The Topics Dystopian Films Won't Touch " by Imran Siddiquee and a response to that article titled " Why The Hunger Games  Is about Racism " by Alissa Wilkinson because both articles focused on a book and film series that most students nowadays

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen