Skip to main content

Flee, Scream, Fight... 2014 TN Amendment 1 and Other Election Reactions

This morning I awoke to news that not only does the GOP now control the Senate (that had been predicted for months) and many GOP governors maintained their seats (include Florida's Scott, Wisconsin's Walker, and Kansas' Brownback) but also, now in Tennessee, women may completely lose access to abortions--regardless of the circumstances.

Last night (as on many previous Election Nights), I purposely distracted myself until well after polls had closed. Being a mom with a kid in school means around the time polls close, I have little people to bathe, clothes to prep, backpacks to check, etc.  I'm thankful for that distraction because it means I no longer have the leisure time to sit in front of a TV and watch as the results roll in.  And even after everyone was put to bed, I purposely resisted the urge to check election results every 30 minutes before going to bed.  I checked once or twice, so I knew GOP had gained the Senate. That was enough upset for last night, so, I watch my new fave show (Peaky Blinders) drifted off to sleep and hoped, wished, and prayed that Amendment 1 would not pass in TN.

I woke in the morning when it was still dark outside to find that a nightmare had become reality. I wanted to pull the covers back over my head, fade into the dark of the early morning hours, and simply sleep until Super Tuesday in 2016.

Their are so many issues I have with this result that I'm not even sure where to begin.

Let's start with the actual Amendment itself.  Here's the language:
Shall Article I, of the Constitution of Tennessee be amended by adding the following language as a new, appropriate designated section:
Nothing in this Constitution secures or protects a right to abortion or requires the funding of an abortion. The people retain the right through their elected state representatives and state senators to enact, amend, or repeal statues regarding abortion, including, but not limited to, circumstances of pregnancy resulting from rape or incest or when necessary to save the life of the mother. [Emphasis mine.]
(I got nauseous just now typing that.)
So, essentially, Tennessee didn't actual vote to ban anything, yet. They've voted to give the legislature the right to ban abortion in Tennessee, but what makes this amendment so horrifying is that it leaves no room for exceptions for rape, incest or life of mother. Even many pro-life people believe those things may be exceptions.

As a friend mentioned, I feel as if my body is under assault. My soul aches. My uterus weeps.

No one but me, my doctor and my mate should be able to make decisions about what happens with my body. And for some people, the mate doesn't even get a  say-so.
I recently watched a video connected with #IfTheySpeakForMe in which a white male steps from the shadows in a black hair salon to tell the stylist how to do the women's hair. The stylist (being in on the situation) go along with it, but the customers instantly go into WTF mode: "Oh, hell nah. Don't touch me. You don't determine how I wear my hair. And why are you [the stylist] going along with this." One lady was almost out the door before the person was able to explain the true situation.

Here's the video:


Even when I was watching the video days ago, I felt like this. "Oh, hell no. Some WHASP-y male politician has no right to tell me or anyone else what to do with their bodies." It was as if I could sense a male politician jumping out from the shadows when I'm at a Gyno visit to tell my doctor what she can/cannot do.

Now that Amendment 1 has passed, that's exactly what as happened.

Learning of this amendment passing angered me in ways I can't even truly describe. On the way to drop the kiddos this morning, I wished I weren't nice. Wished I didn't care.

I have so many emotions.
I want to flee.
I want to fight.
I want to scream.
I want to ... arrrgggghhhhh!

I'm too young to feel so battered politically. I need to leave this state. I need to leave this region.
And what's truly sad is you look at the results of the bigger cities of this state and in each of those counties, the majority voted No. It's the smaller towns that voted Yes, and OY, do we have a lot of those. Ugh!

And the people who voted for this amendment are delusional if they believe that whatever convoluted law they develop will actually stand and/or stop abortions. Termination is a medical procedure. Sometimes, it's medically necessary. Sometimes, it's elective. But like any other medical procedure, it's up to the patient and doctor to determine if and when they get it. Laws won't reduce abortions. Comprehensive sexual education reduces pregnancies and therefore, the need of terminations. Laws won't reduce abortions; they'll reduce safe abortions.


And in national news...
I suppose at some point during the first week of January 2015, we should expect Articles of Impeachment to be handed down since the 114th Congress starts on Jan. 3, and it'll only be a mere few days before they start that little plan. (Let's not forget the very same day Pres. Obama was first inaugurated in 2009, they met that day to plan his takedown.)

Again... flee, scream, and fight.
Parts of me want to just give up, but that isn't in me. In fact, I've already contacted Planned Parenthood to ask them to fight the amendment.

This isn't over.  The pendulum always swings back.

And if it doesn't, well, there's always the flee option.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Earth Rising--spoilers therein

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag-map_of_Rwanda.svg I recently finished  Black Earth Rising on Netflix. The show stars Michaela Coel (as Kate Ashby), Harriet Walter (as Eve Ashby), John Goodman (as Michael Ennis), among many others. It's about a Rwandan genocide survivor Kate, who was adopted by an international lawyer (Eve) who prosecutes cases in the ICC. Over two decades after surviving the genocide, Kate and all those around her are forced to come to terms with some seriously uncomfortable realities of what happened before, during, and after the genocide. The show got in my head... One, it was great to see so many beautiful, brown-skinned people in a show and to experience a story of modern African history--albeit horribly, tragic history. And every time Coel was on screen, I marveled over her beauty--beautiful, smooth, brown complexion, amazingly shaped eyes, beautifully pronounced cheekbones and full lips. Two, although fictionalized, I learned a LOT more

Avoiding "those" conversations

The post below was written in 2015, but never posted. (Not sure why.) Goodness, has the world changed in those 4 years. Now, our "president"--45--and EVEN more police brutality and racial bullshit situations have forced us to talk about what we have avoided for far too long. The below post represented a turning point for me in what topics I use for class. I'm glad I made that turn. I now actively work to decolonize the classroom and reiterate bell hooks' call to use transgressive teaching. Join me. From https://www.flickr.com/photos/collegelibrary/10859112445 For the first time in too many years to count, I've decided to use articles in my classes that openly discuss race. I purposely selected " The Topics Dystopian Films Won't Touch " by Imran Siddiquee and a response to that article titled " Why The Hunger Games  Is about Racism " by Alissa Wilkinson because both articles focused on a book and film series that most students nowadays

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen