Skip to main content

Homemade Stuff... Nicole in DIY-land pt 1


My adventure in actually making stuff really began after my first son was born.   Prior to him being born, I started researching on products I could make to save money.  I researched homemade baby wipes, homemade baby food, using cloth diapers, and all sorts of other stuff.  I ended up only making the homemade food at the time.

When I first began making his food, it was more about saving money than avoiding chemicals or being super organic or something like that.  After slowly becoming more cognizant of the crap that's in the foods we consume, I set out on a mission to make most of his baby food.  If I had to buy his food, it was organic unless we were in a dire situation (travelling on the road and only a convenience store shelf of regular baby food was available).  I bought the baby food books, the little baby food ice cube type trays, lived on WholesomeBabyFood.com, and happily told anyone who asked about his food and my methods.  The food adventure was fun, economical, and I even got my husband into doing, which I really thought would be a battle.  Granted he's always been supportive of my little experiments, and he's not "your average male," but it was great to see him actively get involved with making the foods. I'm glad we have that experience to carry on with baby #2.  

It was a bit frustrating at times to have to defend why I made his food to older relatives.  They questioned and joked about why I only/mostly bought organic foods for him and why I made his food.  I made his food because we couldn't always afford organic.  It's healthier, but geez, it can be expensive.  Fresh and frozen is better than canned and prepackaged, so I'll do that instead.
When I finally reminded these relatives that their parents fed them "organic," homemade food (although it wasn't called that then) considering the time period they grew up in, they backed off.  I still trudged on regardless of the criticisms.

Now, that baby #2 is soon to appear, I'm happy to have an upgraded blender, more websites to turn to, my own, more active blog, and more knowledge about food to be able to make even better foods for the little person when he's old enough to eat.

My own food journey during this pregnancy has been much more informed thanks to my being a "label hawk" and becoming a wiser food consumer over the years.  Thanks to my desire to make my son's food, I've paid much more attention to what's in food, how food works for or against the body.  I'm by no means as healthy as I should be, but I have better tools to become so now.

When my older son was born, I always said I was determined to make him an adventurous and healthy eater.  To this day, he still is.  So, DIY-ing it must've done something right.

Happy DIY-ing!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Earth Rising--spoilers therein

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag-map_of_Rwanda.svg I recently finished  Black Earth Rising on Netflix. The show stars Michaela Coel (as Kate Ashby), Harriet Walter (as Eve Ashby), John Goodman (as Michael Ennis), among many others. It's about a Rwandan genocide survivor Kate, who was adopted by an international lawyer (Eve) who prosecutes cases in the ICC. Over two decades after surviving the genocide, Kate and all those around her are forced to come to terms with some seriously uncomfortable realities of what happened before, during, and after the genocide. The show got in my head... One, it was great to see so many beautiful, brown-skinned people in a show and to experience a story of modern African history--albeit horribly, tragic history. And every time Coel was on screen, I marveled over her beauty--beautiful, smooth, brown complexion, amazingly shaped eyes, beautifully pronounced cheekbones and full lips. Two, although fictionalized, I learned a LOT more

Avoiding "those" conversations

The post below was written in 2015, but never posted. (Not sure why.) Goodness, has the world changed in those 4 years. Now, our "president"--45--and EVEN more police brutality and racial bullshit situations have forced us to talk about what we have avoided for far too long. The below post represented a turning point for me in what topics I use for class. I'm glad I made that turn. I now actively work to decolonize the classroom and reiterate bell hooks' call to use transgressive teaching. Join me. From https://www.flickr.com/photos/collegelibrary/10859112445 For the first time in too many years to count, I've decided to use articles in my classes that openly discuss race. I purposely selected " The Topics Dystopian Films Won't Touch " by Imran Siddiquee and a response to that article titled " Why The Hunger Games  Is about Racism " by Alissa Wilkinson because both articles focused on a book and film series that most students nowadays

Remember the Past: Les Gens de Couleur Libres

Yes, I'm a day behind, but here's to it... I dedicate this post to my wonderful, brilliant niece who might  be taking a new interest in history, and that makes me even prouder on so many levels. Today, I'll introduce you to Les Gens de Couleur Libres (The Free People of Color). Free Women of Color with their Children and Servants in a Landscape Painting by Agostino Brunias Some years back, a cousin asked had I seen the film Feast of All Saints.  I had not. She proceeded to tell me of the plot of the movie wherein the Les Gens de Couleur Libres--the Free People of Color-- living in New Orleans were an entire class of people living in the slave state of Louisiana before  the Civil War ended.  My mind was blown. I'd never heard of these people. I was mad that I had not, but I instantly wanted to know all I could. Growing up, I always knew there were Blacks scattered throughout the country prior to 1863 and 1865 who were free through various means--buying thei