Skip to main content

Celebrate! It's Women's History Month

March is Women's History Month! I intend to celebrate as best I can, by doing what I do--writing and discussing.

My celebration of history and knowledge began in earnest last month in my attempt to celebrate and Remember the Past in a series of blog posts about the lives and contributions of Black Americans to the growth of this nation. (Click the links to the right under February 2015 for the posts.) I intended to write a post a day, but life got in the way. As much as I wanted to write daily and share my knowledge about history, esp. Black History, there are just so many hours in the day and job, kids, husband, grading, sleeping, decompressing from life usurped my extra writing time.

So, instead of attempting to blog daily, I'll just do what I can. This month I turn to women contributions. Rather than focusing solely on history, I'll focus on women in general and the stories, the history, the contributions, the issues... all of it. But also note that in light of Patricia Arquette's statement that it's time for men, people of color, and LGBT people to fight for women, know that these discussions will definitely include the marginalization, outlier-status, and necessity of women of color (any color), trans-women, LGBT women, etc. to force our way into the discussion. Arquette's statement on-stage acceptance speech was spot on, but her after-the-show elaboration is what shoved her foot in her mouth. Her post-show statement in essence suggests and assumes that "women" is defined as white women as a default and that white women have always fought for the rights of people of color and LGBT (and others), which has sometimes been the case historically, but not always. (Know your shit, Patricia, before you speak! Thanks for bringing attention, but you're not a scholar. This is often what happens when celebrities with little knowledge of topics beyond acting go "off script.")

I am proudly a feminist, proudly a nerd, proudly a lover of history, proudly a person who pays attention to history, life, culture, social happenings, and activism. I try to take part as best I can. I try to help others be informed so they can help take part too. I encourage you to do the same.


My first post will be about Caster Semenya and Dutee Chand and others who face similar accusations of not being woman, or woman enough to compete.

What are the implications of saying a woman is NOT a woman when she knows she is, has been raised as such, and lives her life as such? Do discussions like these mean we've entered another phase of feminism, wherein feminists of all genders are not only fighting for equality for women (and everything that that means) and the right of women to live, work, choose as we please, but even the right for society to shed its (obsolete and archaic) ideas of what makes a woman a woman and who and what gets to determine when and if someone is indeed a woman.Oh, there's so much to say on this. Stay tuned to my blog for the full discussion.

For right now, I'll just remind you to...

Pay attention.
Be informed.
Take part.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every accusation is a confession

I've been ruminating on how QAnon, or whatever the fuck they were calling themselves back then, REALLY convinced somebody to run up in a pizza parlor to rescue some kids from a PDFile ring in 2016, and how certain folks BEEN hollering about an international PDFile cabal/ring for a LONG ass time--except the super gullible among us are convinced it's only Dems--and those doing the hollering have been labeled "conspiracy nuts," and how folks in power have long scoffed at this idea and laughed at how stupid conspiracy theorists sound for thinking this,  buuuuut... Turns out that  1) yes, an international PDFile cabal/ring DOES exist, has for a long time, likely will continue to as long as no one is held accountable for the horrendous, villainous actions,  2) the cabal includes some of the most powerful people, corporations, entities in the world ,  3) even if they did participate, there was a second class of powerful elite who still willingly hobnobbed with the PDFile p...

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen...

Keeping Ourselves Encouraged in the midst of a SNAFUBAR Shitshow

Phew chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile. It's been awhile since I posted, and we "sick and tired of being sick and tired," quoth Ms. Fannie Lou Hamer . That ma n has been in office barely 9 months, and it has seemed like over a year already. D'Angelo just died. Neo-soul has lost a King. And my goddess, one of the articles about his death reminded me that Angie Stone died THIS year too. Two Neo-soul legends gone and one young man losing both his parents in the same year. And that's just this week. I could go on and on, but enough of the sadness... Shit is hard. Seems like it's getting harder day by day.  Folks literally trying to legislate away people's rights, existence, identities. Corruption and cons left, right and center. History constantly repeating itself. Realizations that the folks who most Americans point to as the worst of history--the Nazis--actually got many of their ideas from the Jim Crow era . Seems like controlling forces, who want to subjugate, cage, g...