Skip to main content

Things I’ve Learned from the Shooting of Michael Brown and the Unrest in Ferguson

As a black female and mother of two young black males, I can’t help but watch what’s unfolding in Ferguson since the Michael Brown shooting on Aug. 9.  This shooting death went from an event that sadly, most people of color are no longer shocked by to a situation of unrest as people protest, police over-react to attempt to control crowds, journalists are arrested, citizens are tear-gassed, people (believed to be outsiders) loot and agitate, and AG Eric Holder arrives.

We’re horrified that these things keep happening and nothing ever seems to change.  There are more names of black males (and females) beaten and/or killed by police in the last several years than anyone could remember or count.  But their families remember.  
And though we can’t remember each name, we know that they happened and again, sadly, we’re no longer surprised.

The protests, occasional looting, overly excessive response by the police, and overall unrest in Ferguson following the shooting death make me reflective of life in America as a black person, make me extremely nervous and concerned about the future and life in America for my boys as they grow into young men (who will one day be viewed with suspicious eyes by someone somewhere), and reflective yet concerned about what all of this has revealed.

So, here’s what I’ve learned…



(I wanted to number this, but I'm sure I’ll be returning to this post to update it.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every accusation is a confession

I've been ruminating on how QAnon, or whatever the fuck they were calling themselves back then, REALLY convinced somebody to run up in a pizza parlor to rescue some kids from a PDFile ring in 2016, and how certain folks BEEN hollering about an international PDFile cabal/ring for a LONG ass time--except the super gullible among us are convinced it's only Dems--and those doing the hollering have been labeled "conspiracy nuts," and how folks in power have long scoffed at this idea and laughed at how stupid conspiracy theorists sound for thinking this,  buuuuut... Turns out that  1) yes, an international PDFile cabal/ring DOES exist, has for a long time, likely will continue to as long as no one is held accountable for the horrendous, villainous actions,  2) the cabal includes some of the most powerful people, corporations, entities in the world ,  3) even if they did participate, there was a second class of powerful elite who still willingly hobnobbed with the PDFile p...

Attempting to Open Eyes...

In my life, I view it as my goal and life's mission to open people's eyes to things around them, information they've been fed or led to believe, and in general, make people think for themselves .  I seek not to make people think and feel as I believe, but simply to encourage them to think and know for themselves. I am a lover of knowledge.  I don't profess to know everything, but the things I do know, I am sure of and sure that they are right for me and my life.  As my son ages and my second child makes his way towards this world, I grapple with wanting to impart my version of wisdom, truth, faith, kindness, and love of knowledge and progressivism compared with simply wanting them to seek their own truths--even if they depart from mine.  This is something I'm sure I'll battle for many years to come.  Strong willed parents tend to produce strong willed children. Being a strong willed person herself, my mother raised me to be my own woman, to think independen...

Keeping Ourselves Encouraged in the midst of a SNAFUBAR Shitshow

Phew chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile. It's been awhile since I posted, and we "sick and tired of being sick and tired," quoth Ms. Fannie Lou Hamer . That ma n has been in office barely 9 months, and it has seemed like over a year already. D'Angelo just died. Neo-soul has lost a King. And my goddess, one of the articles about his death reminded me that Angie Stone died THIS year too. Two Neo-soul legends gone and one young man losing both his parents in the same year. And that's just this week. I could go on and on, but enough of the sadness... Shit is hard. Seems like it's getting harder day by day.  Folks literally trying to legislate away people's rights, existence, identities. Corruption and cons left, right and center. History constantly repeating itself. Realizations that the folks who most Americans point to as the worst of history--the Nazis--actually got many of their ideas from the Jim Crow era . Seems like controlling forces, who want to subjugate, cage, g...